The purpose of the Foundation is to further the purposes of the Melbourne Cricket Club. It has power to:
- acquire, hold preserve and display records, equipment, books and sporting memorabilia.
- manage, promote and develop the MCC Library and MCC Museum.
- seek and receive sponsorship.
- sponsor, encourage and promote the playing of sports.
- engage in building and other capital works.
- build, rebuild, refurbish, develop buildings and other amenities for the use and enjoyment of members of the MCC and others.
Apart from the Annual General Meeting of the club held on August 12, 2010, the Foundation met on five occasions throughout 2010/11. Its major roles included:
Sponsorship of AFL Victoria - Specifically the MCC Herald Sun Shield and MCC Herald Sun Cup.
Sporting Section Grants and Scholarships - Grants were provided to sections as in previous years for the support of coaches, upgrade of training and playing facilities, recruitment and improved performance. Scholarships were awarded during the year in the amount of $5000 to three section members to pursue improvement in their field of sport.