In 1865 the MCC established a bowling green at the ground “for the recreation of its members”. However, it wasn’t until 1894 when the MCC took over the Richmond Bowling Club (est. 1868) that the Bowls Section was formed.
As part of the deal the club traded Richmond’s two acres in Yarra Park for an acre adjoining the MCG’s western perimeter. The bowlers
maintained their MCG greens for more than a century before the demands of modern cricket saw them taken over for use as practice wickets.
In December 1996 a new home was created for the Section on the Swinburne Avenue site formerly occupied by the City of Hawthorn Bowling Club. Five years later the MCC merged with the Glenferrie Hill Recreation Club (est. 1908), a complex in Glen Street, Hawthorn, that provided both bowls and croquet facilities and allowed the Section to field up to seven Pennant sides.
1865 – MCC establishes a bowling green outside the MCG.
1894 – MCC Bowls Section is formed following the take over of Richmond Bowling Club. Two greens laid outside western end of MCG.
1897 – Section wins its first premiership.
1901 – Club promotes the Championship of Australia bowls tournament.
1969 – New clubrooms and greens opened at MCG following completion of the Western (later Ponsford) Stand.
1996 – Club merges with City of Hawthorn Bowls Club and relocates to Hawthorn.
2001 – Club merges with Glenferrie Hill Recreation Club.
2006 – MCC Ladies Section established