MCC CROQUET SECTION LAUNCHES 2015-2016 SEASON WITH CUSTOM, CELEBRATION AND SPECIAL SALUTES
MCC's Croquet Section ushered in its 2015-2016 season with an exceptionally celebratory and well-attended Opening Day program on Saturday August 1. Along with celebrating a new season of competitive and social play, members and invited guests also enjoyed an opportunity to congratulate two distinguished members, Noel Grant and Helen Worladge.
Some 80 members and guests were in attendance on the Opening Day which began with a welcome from MCC Croquet Section Chair Graham Fahey. The day included morning and afternoon matches and lunch. Invited guests included Boroondara Council Member Judith Voce, representatives from MCC's Bowls Section and members from 10 other metropolitan area croquet clubs.
Noel Grant in July was awarded France's highest medal of Honour -- the rank of Chevalier in the French Legion of Honour. The 95 year old Mrs Grant is one of 106 World War II Australian war veterans-- and the only woman among them-- who were decorated by France this year for services during World War II operations to liberate France. At MCC Croquet Section she has held office as Chair, won a number of championship titles, was a top pennant player and an esteemed coach. Mrs Grant, a Life Member of the club, has not played croquet for some years now, but she does attend social functions. She helped to officially launch this new season by participating in the traditional "Running of the First Hoops."
Helen Worladge was awarded an OAM in the 2015 Queen's Birthday Honours list for services to education and disadvantaged youth. Currently she is Program Manager for Boroondara Cares Chances Foundation which provides financial aid to secondary and tertiary students living or studying Boroondara. Helen is an MCC Croquet Section Committee Member and the club's immediate past Chair.
Helen Worladge (chair), Catherine Symons (secretary) and Bruce McComb (treasurer).
General committee members: Carol Dobbin, Gail Plunkett, Graham Fahey, Lyn Maddock, David Rhodes, Anne McLachlan (co-opted)
Graham Fahey (chair), Wayne Worladge (secretary) and Bruce McComb (treasurer).
General committee members: Catherine Symons, Lyn Maddock, Patrick Moore, Rosalind Merry, Margo Kelly, Helen Worladge.
The third annual Presentation Dinner was held in the MCC Committee Room on June 4, 2014.
Chairman’s Award: Elizabeth Duff
Club Award: Barbara Evans
Most Improved Player: Geoff Dobbin
Pennant Player of the Year: Patrick Moore
Division 1: Adrian Palmer
Division 2: Graham Fahey
Division 3: Colin Melville
Division 4: Mary Vindin
Division 1: John van der Touw
Division 3: Mary Vindin
Association Croquet Tournament results
Division 1A: Kevin Beard (Essendon)
Division 1B: Bruce McComb (MCC)
Division 2: Alan West: (Brighton)
Division 3: Ian Philpott (MCC)
Division 4: Alan Notley (MCC)
Golf Croquet Tournament results
Division 1: John van der Touw
Division 2: Jill Tainsh (Deniliquin)
Doubles: Deidre Lebbon/Peter Goldstraw (Sale)
- John van der Touw represented Australia in Golf Croquet.
- John van der Touw won the Australian Golf Croquet Singles Championship, and also the Doubles with Kevin Beard.
- Bruce McComb and Graham Fahey were asked to join the Victorian Association Croquet Development Squad.
- Graham Fahey won the Victorian Handicap Championship 1-7 Division.
- Tom Kudelka won the Ringwood Tournament 12-20 Division.
- Tom Kudelka came second in the Leongatha Tournament 7-13 Division.
- Charlie Davis won the Geelong CA Tournament 11-16 Division.
- Ian Philpott won Kew Open Division 4.
- Adrian Palmer came second in the Brunswick Tournament Division 1-2.
- Gavan Woinarski came second in the Brunswick Tournament Division 3.
- Geoff Dobbin came second in the Brusnwick Tournament Div 4
- Colin Melville won Monash Tournament Division 3.
- Geoff Dobbin won Monash Tournament Division 4.
- Wayne Worladge came second in the Monash Tournament Division 4.
First: MCC Ruby
Second: MCC Gold
Second: MCC Red
Third: MCC Blue
Fourth: MCC Yellow