MITCH Marsh’s batting brilliance helped Australia record a bonus point win over South Africa to book a place in the one-day tri-series final.

    NOMS AND BETTING: THE Queen’s galloper Estimate heads a list of 31 international runners who have been nominated for the Melbourne Cup.

    LLEYTON Hewitt and Nick Kyrgios will shoulder the nation’s Davis Cup hopes in Perth next week against Uzbekistan.

    THE Holden Cup’s Team of the Year is like a window into the future of NRL superstars. So who has your club got to get excited about? FULL TEAM HERE

    VICTORIA Azarenka produced one of the worst versions of “Happy Birthday” you will ever hear, before conducting the most bizarre of press conferences.

    banner

    Target Shooting

    MCC Shooting Section actionThe MCC established a rifle club during the Boer War in 1900. By 1902 our marksmen were shooting regularly at the Williamstown Rifle Range. A miniature rifle range was also built beside the MCG tennis courts in 1908.

    During the twenties and thirties the club dominated the competition but went into recess during World War II. On resumption in 1947 their success continued and by 1953 the club had won the Metropolitan Pennant Series for the fifth time in six years. Over the years, many MCC members distinguished themselves in state and national competition.

    In 1960 the Section opened a new clubhouse on the Merrett Rifle Range at Williamstown. The Section changed its name from the Rifle Section to the MCC Shooting Section in 1973 to recognise the small bore team which competed in 1971 and the pistol club that was formed in 1972. With the advent of the Australia-wide handgun buy-back in 2003, the Pistol Club virtually ceased to function and officially closed as of December 31, 2010.

    The full bore club shoots at East Anakie, near Geelong, while the Camberwell Small Bore Rife Club is home to the MCC small bore and pistol clubs.

    View the MCC Target Shooting Membership Application Form.

    Milestones
    1900 – MCC forms a rifle club in response to security concerns during the Boer War.
    1912 – Club wins its seventh consecutive pennant.
    1928 – MCC clubhouse completed at Williamstown Rifle Range.
    1959 – New clubhouse built on the Merrett Range. Club is equal first in championship.
    1971 – Small bore team formed.
    1972 – Pistol team formed.
    1973 – Name changed from Rifle Section to Shooting Section.
    1991 – Rifle shooters move to Lang Lang range.
    2003 – Shooters relocate to a range at East Anakie, near Geelong.