Tennis courts were first laid out for members at the MCG in the 1870s and lady’s ticketholders were also encouraged to use them.
The MCC was the leading club and principal organiser of tennis in the colony and staged the first Australasian Championships (later called the Australian Open) at the Albert Ground in 1905.
Soon after, the club happily relinquished its stewardship of the game to the Lawn Tennis Association of Victoria. The first inter-club matches had been organised in 1883 and throughout the 20th century the Section played mainly on courts at the Albert Ground.
In 1996 a merger with the St Kilda Tennis Club prompted significant MCC investment in clubhouse and courts at the northern end of the Junction Oval. By 2005 the Section had won 31 State (A) Grade pennants and was the most successful club in Victoria. It has fielded up to 17 teams in VTA winter competition and welcomed its first women’s pennant team in 1987.
Our main centre, consisting of six en-tout-cas courts, is situated at the rear of the Junction Oval St Kilda off Lakeside Drive (Melways Ref 58 A7).
Our secondary base is at the corner of Roy Street and St. Kilda Road, Melbourne (Melways Ref 58 A5) where we have two en-tout-cas courts.
Secretary - Fran Graham (03) 9531 3172
1879 – Asphalt tennis courts laid at the MCG.
1880 – MCC conducts the first inter-colonial lawn tennis championships.
1905 – MCC stages the first Australasian lawn tennis championship (later known as the Australian Open) at the Warehouseman’s Cricket Ground (later Albert Cricket Ground).
1924 – Australasian Championships played at Albert Ground for last time.
1940 – MCC wins Men’s A Grade premiership for third successive year.
1973 – Another hat trick of premierships for the Men’s A Grade Team.
1987 – A women’s team is entered in pennant competition for the first time.
1996 – Section merges with St Kilda Tennis Club and builds new clubhouse at Junction Oval courts.
View the complete MCC Tennis Section history.