The MCC was formed in November 1838 and, after occupying three other sites, finally settled in 1853 on its present location, the now famous Melbourne Cricket Ground.
In January 1858, the MCC challenged any team in the Australian Colonies and a team from New South Wales accepted the challenge, which was played on the MCG.
This was really the forerunner of what eventually became the Sheffield Shield competition, after Lord Sheffield presented the trophy for inter-colonial competition.
Up until the turn of the century, visits to Australia for English teams and sides to England by Australians were sponsored by Melbourne CC with the exception of the first English visit in 1862 which was undertaken on the initiative of the club’s caterers. Since those days, 41 MCC players have represented Australia in Test matches either at home or abroad.
The MCC fields four teams in the various levels of Cricket Victoria’s Premier Cricket competition and also has one side in the MCC Club XI Competition. In addition, social cricket by an MCC group known as the XXIX Club is played mid-week and on Sundays and MCC members are welcome to participate.
Until 2004, the club also fielded an under 16 team in the W.J. Dowling Shield competition. Now that Cricket Victoria is running this competition along ‘regional’ lines, the MCC will focus its concentration on its own coaching and development program for young players.