The dress standard for males in the Long Room and Members Dining Room is a lounge suit or tailored jacket, shirt, tie, slacks and dress shoes. Females are expected to dress to a similar standard.
Please note that jackets may be removed during the summer months. National costume and religious requirements such as a clerical collar are acceptable.
For your guidance, some unacceptable items of clothing in the Long Room and Members Dining Room include (these should be read in conjunction with the Members Reserve dress standards):
Not Acceptable: Men
- Any form of sports shoe such as joggers, track shoes and runners.
- Sandals and any shoes without socks.
- Jeans, cargo pants or non-tailored pants.
- Open-neck shirts or shirts without collars.
- Parkas, duffle coats, wind-breakers, tracksuit tops, golf and yachting weatherproofs, waist-length jackets including bomber jackets, denim jackets, zippered jackets, anoraks and driz-a-bones.
- Hats, caps and any other headwear unless part of national or religious dress.
- Pullovers or cardigans (without a jacket), rugby tops and football guernseys, even if wearing a tie.
Not Acceptable: Women
- Any form of sports shoe, joggers, track shoes, runners, and casual sandals.
- Tank tops.
- Jeans, cargo pants and non-tailored pants.
- "Leggings" or shorts.
- Parkas, duffle coats, denim jackets, wind-breakers, golf and yachting weatherproofs, anoraks and bomber jackets.
- Note: Footless tights acceptable if suitable dress worn over the top.
Click here for examples of acceptable and not acceptable attire.