The club has confirmed two exciting members’ tours to the UK this time next year to coincide with Australia’s quest to regain the Ashes.
The first is a History and Cricket tour, visiting sacred Australian historical sites including the Gallipoli Peninsula and the WW1 battlefields of the Somme. View a detailed itinerary.
The tour is a moving, patriotic experience and will be led by Michael McKernan, our esteemed war historian. Joining Michael is Ray Gurry, an MCC member and a former history teacher at The Peninsula School. Ray is the nominated Events Worldwide tour manager, who has conducted each previous MCC history tour and many other tours to Europe and the UK.
This fully inclusive tour is an exceptional experience. The hotel standards vary due to the areas involved so they range from three to five stars where appropriate, ending with a rewarding experience in London for the Lord’s Test.
The second tour is an Alps and Rhine Cruise tour, experiencing the second Test at Lord’s followed by a flight to Geneva then a range of transport including travel by coach to Lausanne, a lake steamer to Montreux and the coach onto Gruyère before heading into the Swiss Alps the following day. View a detailed itinerary.
We then travel into the Bernese Oberland region in the heart of the country staying two nights in Interlaken. We ascend the famous Jungfrau via rack railway through the Eiger and take in the sights from the top of Europe.
The Alpine adventure ends in the capital Bern before joining an Avalon Waterways luxury Cruise along the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam. This is a superior quality, fully escorted tour taking in all modes of transport and experiences. More details online here.
Registering for the ballot
Registrations can be made online (or in person at the club office) from Tuesday August 21 until Thursday August 30, 2012.
Should demand exceed capacity for either or both tours, a random ballot will be conducted.
Upon completion of your booking form and payment of a deposit of $400 per person, your application will be placed into a ballot.
All members who have registered within the specified registration period will have equal opportunity to secure a tour package, regardless of the time of registration. All applicants will be notified of the ballot outcome no later than Tuesday September 4.
Ballot terms and conditions
• A valid photo ID membership card number can only be entered in the ballot once.
• The ballot is open to all categories of MCC members only.
• Entries may only include one member and one guest.
• Guest cardholders are not eligible to enter the ballot.
• You may enter the ballot for both tours but only be successful in one. If you are successful in both, you will be contacted and asked which tour package you would prefer.
• Members must join the whole tour and not just a portion of it.
• Your deposit will not be processed if your application in the ballot is unsuccessful.
How the ballot works
If your application is successful, completion of booking form and a further 30% (less your ballot application deposit) will be required by our travel services provider, Events Worldwide, to confirm the booking.
If your application is unsuccessful you will automatically be placed on a waiting list in the event that any cancellations occur.
Marylebone Cricket Club at Lord's in London is yet to confirm the pricing or reciprocal arrangements in place for Melbourne Cricket Club members attending the Lord's Test.
Members attending on one of the club’s official tours will be given priority on ticketing and we expect to provide an offer towards the end of 2012.
Members will be required to purchase their ticketing requirements at the time of offer.
For members who are travelling independently, the same offer will be available. However, if demand exceeds supply a ballot will be conducted.
- MCC Members' Tours are subject to minimum numbers at the listed pricing and inclusions. They are also subject to change due to unforseen circumstances and currency fluctuations until fully paid.
- Airline taxes and match tickets are extra in addition to the tour pricing and details of these will be provided in due course.
- We strongly recommend you take comprehensive travel insurance and our travel agent, Events Worldwide, is offering a 15 per cent discount on QBE and CHI Insurance to members taking these tours.