In 1865 the MCC established a bowling green at the MCG “for the recreation of its members”. However, the MCC Bowls Section was not formally established until 1894 when the MCC assumed management of the Richmond Bowling Club.
The section won its first premiership in the Victorian Bowling Association’s (now Bowls Victoria) competition in 1897. It currently fields teams in pennant competitions, which can be a mix of men and women, across a range of divisions played on Saturdays and mid-week.
Regularly hosting social bowls events, the section’s headquarters are based at Swinburne Avenue, Hawthorn, in addition to a grass and synthetic green at Glen Street, Hawthorn.
Visit the MCC Bowls Section website at www.mccbowls.org for the latest news and information.
MCC Bowls Section contact
Secretary: Mr Ian McKay
1865 – MCC establishes a bowling green outside the MCG.
1894 – MCC Bowls Section is formed following the takeover of Richmond Bowling Club. Two greens laid outside western end of MCG.
1897 – Section wins its first premiership.
1901 – Club promotes the Championship of Australia bowls tournament.
1969 – New clubrooms and greens opened at MCG following completion of the Western (later Ponsford) Stand.
1996 – Club merges with City of Hawthorn Bowls Club and relocates to Hawthorn.
2001 – Club merges with Glenferrie Hill Recreation Club.
2006 – MCC Ladies Section established